By Brenda Hornaday, First Vice President •National WMA
February is the month that has been set aside by the National WMA (Women’s Missionary Auxiliary) to encourage women to become active in their local church’s women’s ministry. Due to COVID, many of our churches and their ministries have experienced a decline in attendance during the past two years. Hopefully we will soon see an end to this pandemic.
The National WMA theme for 2021-2022 is “Intentional.” “Be very careful, then, how you live — not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil” (Eph. 5:15-16). As we try to build our attendance back up, I challenge each lady of your women’s ministry to be “intentional” in encouraging new ladies to attend your meetings by making the most of every opportunity. Here are a few ways to be intentional:
• Individually invite each lady in your church to come to your meetings or Bible study (in person, by telephone, text or email).
• Have the meetings or Bible study times printed in your church’s bulletin and added to the Facebook page and website.
• Promote the topic of your meeting or study with colorful posters placed in strategic places in the church.
• Be excited about your ministry, and share the things you are learning in conversations with those ladies not attending.
• Look for ways your group can meet the needs of all the ladies in your church.
• Poll the ladies of the church to see what they would like to get from your ministry.
• Have an informal get-together with finger foods to let the ladies of the church become more personally acquainted with each other.
• Have special events such as a Mother/Daughter Tea, Valentine’s Banquet, painting party, etc., to get the ladies interested in meeting together.
• Make sure your meetings and Bible studies are bathed in prayer and are structured to provide spiritual growth for each lady in attendance.
Let’s strive to enlist new ladies in our women’s ministries during this new year.